Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: for the very old, cheap, grainy effect

  1. #1
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey. Soon I'll be making a film in which i need to have footage that looks very old and cheap and grainy. Like it as shot on very old film and 8mm.

    I'll be editing on computer so i suppose i could just make it look lie that in post, but I'd like to have it look as authentic as possible.

    The footage that's supposed to look cheap will be shot in broad daylight, i won't be using any lighting except for the sun. SO i'm thinking i just need much faster film so it has a lot of grain. But also won't it be very pale.

    Do i have to adjust the apperature or shutter settings to keep the footage from looking very light and over-lit. Or is it ok to just shoot normaly, wll it look ok? This is probably an obvious question, but iwant to be sue. Any help is apreciated.

    Oh..and also, i'll be shooting on black&wite flm on an Elmo 1012s-xl. If that helps

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I definitely would use an ND9 filter. Otherwise you will probably overexpose the footage.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey thanks. DO you mean using the ND9 filter WITH a faster film? Or just using the filter with "normal" (for lack of a better word) speed flm?

    What speed is recomended?

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "So i'm thinking i just need much faster film so it has a lot of grain. But also won't it be very pale."
    -LAmind

    I was basing my answer on your quote above. Instead of an ND9 you can also "combo" an ND6 or an ND3 with a Polarizer (a circular polarizer) if you want more saturation.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 20, 2002 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey. Soon I'll be making a film in which i need to have footage that looks very old and cheap and grainy. Like it as shot on very old film and 8mm.

    Get some Quartzchrome Super 8 film. From what I heard its the most crappy and grainy stuff there was.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Blindowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2001
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You may consider trying some Fomapan R - regular 8 film to achieve that look. That is if you have access to a reg. 8 camera. If you shoot in bright daylight definately use a ND filter to control the exposure. In the past I have achieved the look I think you are describing using Fomapan. Good Luck!!!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I searched for regular 8mm film quite so time. But it seems there is just non to be found. I have a regular 8mm camera wich would be perfect for this project and I'm going to use it in the film as the camera that thcrappy grainy foortage is shot with.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm kind of new to filters. What is the difference between a regular filter and a circular one. (ei. cicular polorizer)

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LAmind:
    I searched for regular 8mm film quite so time. But it seems there is just non to be found. I have a regular 8mm camera wich would be perfect for this project and I'm going to use it in the film as the camera that thcrappy grainy foortage is shot with.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    There is plenty of regular 8mm film available. You didn't look hard enough.

    http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/JohnSchwind2.html/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •